Things to consider when choosing a college…..
- Do I want to be close to home?
- If I choose a college far away, can I afford to come home to visit?
- Do I want to live in an area that offers cultural diversity?
- Would I prefer a college in a small town or a big city?
- Would I be more comfortable at a large university with many students in a class, or a smaller school with small class sizes?
- Does this school offer the major that I am interested in?
- If I change my mind about my major, do they offer a wide variety of majors to choose from?
- What extra curricular activities are available for students?
Criteria for admissions
- Do I meet their criteria to be accepted (criteria are usually listed on the college’s web site)?
- If I am accepted, can I be successful academically at this school?
- Are students connected with internships in the field that they want to pursue?
Earn a degree in 4 years
- What percentage of your students graduate in 4 years?
On campus housing
- Do you offer on campus housing?
- Is everyone guaranteed on campus housing who wants it?
- Are students required to live on campus?
- What housing options do you provide?
- What are tuition, books, room and board costs?
- If you live off campus, what are typical rates for rent, electricity, water, heat, etc.
- Are there additional student fees?
- What institutional scholarships are available to your students?
- Are they only available to freshman, or do upper class students have opportunities for scholarships?
Student Support Services
- Financial Aid office, counseling, career center, tutoring, academic advising, student health center etc.
Visit the school before you decide if you will attend!
- Every college campus has its own unique atmosphere and culture. There is no way to tell this from a brochure or a web site. You must visit; preferably when school is in session.